Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mommy Guilt

It's getting out of control folks! What is it about being a mom that makes me feel guilty for every single thing that I do that doesn't involve the little guy?

Every morning when I drop him off at daycare? Guilt (even though he cracks a big smile when we walk inside)

Every time the hubs puts him to sleep instead of me because I'm just too exhausted? Guilt

Every time I'm not doing something that directly benefits him (ahem, blogging when he's awake)? Guilt

Taking a sick day for myself? HUGE guilt.

Today is that sick day. I left work early yesterday because I've been in huge amounts of pain on and off for almost a week. I decided that enough was enough and I was going to the doctor. No surprise here, I have a kidney/bladder infection. I had been so busy that I didn't take the two seconds to put all the pieces together. "So that's why I've been so tired. My body has been trying to fight off a nasty infection. DUH!"
The doctor tells me to take today off work and recover. I think to myself that there's no way I could take another sick day. I need to save those days for when Gavin is sick. What kind of mother would take a sick day away from her son? Then I wake up this morning and I'm still in pain.

So there I am, stuck between my conscious and my body. After talking to the hubs, I decided to stay at home. I'm trying so hard not to feel guilty about the fact that I need a day to get back on my feet and let the antibiotics do their job. However, I just can't shake the "what-if"s. What if he gets sick later this year and I don't have any days left? What if I get sicker and need a day more than I need it today? SO UNPRODUCTIVE!!!!

What's you mommy guilt du jour?

No comments: