Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Thankful Thursday

Theres nothing like a swift kick of perspective in your ass on Thanksgving morning. I mean really, it's like a script. I kind of feel like I'm in a corny movie.

Gavin had a fever that spiked to 103.1 last night which he's never had before (thankfully) so we took him to the pediatrician to be sure it was just a cold and nothing more serious. Luckily, our pediatrician's office is open until 8 for just this scenario (thankfully). She did a strep test and the rapid was a negative (thankfully). She said he probably was just battling a nasty cold and to just keep up the Tylenol (thankfully).

About halfway through the morning, the poor little guy started screaming in pain for no reason and then he'd stop for 5 minutes and then scream for 10 and stop for 7. You get the idea. This went on for a few hours and we were starting to worry. Mostly because he stopped eating, which, well, my child has NEVER refused food. I called my mom and told her we would be latest best and tht we might not be able to make it at all. My poor guy was struggling to break a fever and was obviously unhappy. Right after I hung up the phone with her, he crawled out of his daddy's lap and walked right to me with a huge smile on his face (thankfully). Hmmmmm. He has been out of it for hours. All of a sudden, he's fine (thankfully). And just like that, he was all better (repeat thankfully).

We made it to dinner (thankfully on so many levels) and he didn't have another episode all day (a lot of people are thankful for this one). We had to leave a little early because he was exhausted after such a tiring day, but we made it and had a great time (thankfully).

I've never had a Thanksgiving where my blessings have been shoved in my face so blatantly. We have a healthy child. This was the first time this has ever happened. We have a wonderful family to spend Thanksgiving with. These things are forgotten when money gets tight or you start thing about all the things you would like to have and don't, but it's important to remember the basic things. health and family are easy to take for granted, but they are so very important.

I hope everyone had a wonderful day, however you chose to spend it.

No comments: